Once you are finished creating the proper “Source” listings for your data and you have customized your contact and account database, you can import your data.
Note : To import more than 1000 records, we recommend you to split your list into multiple files and import each file separately.
Follow the steps below to Import data and select a workflow.
- From home page click on Import under Settings.
- The iImport tab has three links, “Import from CSV file”, “Import from Excel file” and “Import from Gmail”. In this case we will see how to import from CSV file and select a workflow. The steps for importing from Excel file are the same.
- The import page opens up in a new tab.
- Choose file: Browse and select the .csv source file you have created earlier.
- Destination: Choose your destination table from the drop-down list. You can either Select Accounts and Contacts or Contacts.
- Group: Populates all your active groups. This would be blank while you are importing for the first time. Click on the “Add a new Group” option to create a new group. Your imported leads will be put into the selected group. It is required to choose a Group.
- Workflow: Assign a workflow for your imported records ( Workflow field will show up only if you have multiple ACTIVE workflows for Accounts )
- Status: Populates all the stages you have defined in your workflow. Choose a value to assign imported leads to that particular status.
- Source : Select the source from where you collected your leads. Example: Web Forms, Campaigns, mixers etc. You can choose “I would map my sources from the CSV file” option also and map source field of the Source file with Source field in CRM.
- Check the checkbox: Please verify that these contacts have given you their permission to email them. We do not allow rented or purchased lists. These contacts must have either asked to receive emails from you or have close relationship with your organization.
(Note: Until the checkbox is checked, the “Select” button will not be active and the you will not be able to move to the next step.)
- Click on Select button.
Note: If you select Contact the workflow option will be removed, as we don’t need workflow for contacts.
4. Map your column names to the CRM’s database column names.
You will need to map (point to the matching entry) the columns in your file to the existing CRM columns so that all the columns being imported are saved correctly. You can try Auto Map or perform this task manually (recommended).
The left side shows the fields from source file, the right side shows drop downs for each source field, which populates the fields from the Leads/Customer or Contacts form. You can manually perform the mapping between source and destination fields If there are fields that do not match, please go back to How to add Customer field in Lead/Customer or Contacts Form .
- Auto Map: This button will map identical source and destination fields automatically. Therefore your effort to map all the fields manually will be minimized.
- Use Saved Mapping: This button helps you to retrieve any already saved mapping form a list while you are importing records in future from the same file with same columns. If you are using a different file with different columns then you will not be able to Use Saved Mapping.
- Save Mapping: This button helps you to save current mapping so that you can use the same mapping while you are importing records in future from the same file with same columns.
- Delete Mapping: This button helps you to remove any unwanted already saved mapping.
- Do not check for Duplicates: This does not invoke any rules for looking for duplicates and will Import them.
- Check Duplicates : If you choose Check for Duplicates , if duplicates are found there are two options Do not Import or Import and Mark as Duplicate
6. Click on Import button when you are done with your mapping and selecting duplicate option
7. If any columns still require mapping you will get an alert message, click on Ok if you want to continue, else click on Cancel if you want to verify the mapping once again.
8. Once the import is done you will receive a confirmation message as shown below. This will display details on how many records were imported, how many failed and if there was any duplicate. ( duplicate records are checked according to email address)
9. Click on Apply workflow, this will apply the workflow to all the imported records.
Avoid importing issues by following these tips:
- When you go to save your spreadsheet, click on Save As. Scroll down and choose “.csv”
- The first row of your spreadsheet must be your column headers. These will match your Accounts/Contacts form.
- Make sure the date is in MM/DD/YYYY format e.g. 12/31/2014
- Do not use special characters in your data. Characters like @#$%&*+ may cause issues.